Saturday, May 23, 2015

Memorial Weekend - Our Family of Veterans

In honor of my Uncle Adley Benoit who died in WWII combat.

My father always spoke so fondly of his love for his older brother and the fact that his family never knew exactly where he was buried.  It wasn't until after his Mother and Father had died that a family friend of another brother, Uncle H.P. actually located and took the photo of his gravestone in Europe.


He was 20 years old when he gave his life while manning the gun in a bomber over Germany in 1944. His
Bomber aircraft, 41-82924, was hit by Flak between the number three and the number four engine. The Left wing folded as the plane erupted into a fireball. The burning hulk entered a mad spiral and crashed near Mannheim, Germany. The Co-Pilot, Lt Clifford Unwin, was the only survivor. He is buried at The Ardennes American Cemetery and Memorial in Belgium.
http://www.abmc.gov/cemeteries-memorials/europe/ardennes-american-cemetery#.VWM60E9Viko

Although, this holiday is about our brave veterans that died during combat, I was fortunate enough to gain more information about our family members that are veterans.  I want to take this time to honor them as this information is fresh on my database. In no way do I mean it to over shadow our fallen service members during combat. This is an account for my records for future generations.

The Benoit Family consists of 13 children, Three daughters, Una, Mae, and Gene. Ten brothers, Fernest, Roland, Adley, Emery, Felix, Kenny, Wilford (Shorty), James (Pete), Martin Esteve (Steve, my father), Harris Paul (H.P.)

I will take this moment to honor my father and his brothers, my son,  my uncle on my mother's side of the our family, my cousin, Charlie's father, Uncle, and brother that have and/or are proudly serving our country, and thankfully have not died in combat.

My Father, Martin Esteve (Steve)


Roland


Kenny


Harris Paul (H.P.)

My son, Alex, is currently serving us proudly.


My #1 Son, Alex Esteve

My Mother's brother-in-law, Cornelius (Pete) Abraham was unfortunately a Prisoner of War while serving our country during WWII. He served time in a concentration camp. He survived and earned a Purple Heart for his courageous battle and service for our freedom. His wife, my mother's sister, had been notified that he had died. It was a very long time before they were notified his was alive and a P.O.W.  Thankfully, he lived a very prosperous life back home with his loving family.




My cousin, Jeremy McGuire proudly served our country in the USMC


Jeremy McGuire

Charlie's Father, Woody along with his brother, Dalton  proudly served our country. Woody served in the USMC.  His brother served in the Air force.


Woody and Dalton Woodard


Dalton  and Woody Woodard

Charlie's brother, Roger proudly served in the USMC.


Roger Woodard


Thank you all for your service and leaving our future generations a legacy of such honor.


5 comments:

  1. What a great tribute to your family who have served so proudly. I thank them all for what they have done and what your son is doing to keep our way of life protected. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Favorite SisterMay 24, 2015 at 5:38 PM

    God bless our armed forces personnel and their families!!! And cheers to you for reminding us all of those who are willing to serve so that others may live free.

    ReplyDelete